MediaStream for iPhone and iPod Touch

Chris Carey chris.carey at
Mon May 19 09:39:28 MDT 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 11:39 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at> wrote:

> I got it running on my system, but almost any mp4 video I try to watch,
> safari complains that the file is too big.  Do you know why this would
> happen.  Even a small (3 minute clip) gives me this.
> Of course something else the docs aren't clear on is that this only lets
> you browse media files the iPhone's playback hardware can deal with, so
> you'll want to transcode things ahead of time (at least that's what
> appears to be the case).

Michael, thanks for testing it. That is correct, you'll have to
transcode mpg files to mp4 format yourself (for now). If yours are not
working then I have to assume its a transcode error or something.

The main reason I wrote this was so I could access my own mp3
collection from anywhere (it works great on edge). The other stuff
that safari can handle is just an added bonus. I would like to write
the ability to transcode from the UI eventually.  Theres not *a lot*
of work here. It only took about 2 hours to write, and maybe 4 hours
to package up the code, create the google code project, website, and
youtube video.