Postfix Mail Server Migration

Dallin Jones squitoey at gmail.com
Fri May 9 17:37:41 MDT 2008

> This sounds like DNS cache on the client. flush DNS on the client and try again.

Ok, a reboot fixed the problem. Seems weird that flushing the DNS
would fix it, especially since I changed the IP address in /etc/hosts
but live and learn...

> What OS are the client machines and what software are they running?

Varies, Windows and Linux with both Thunderbird and Outlook Express

> The storage of the messages is handled by postfix. What mailbox
> storage method are you using? Are you using Maildir format? I
> currently use mailbox_transport = virtual. rsync is fine as long as
> you make the permissions and ownership on the new machine match what
> it was on the old machine.

I am using Maildir. Rsync works great for moving everything, I just
wanted to make sure that doing that wouldn't cause unforeseen issues.
There were a few permissions/restarting postfix/dovecot to get it to
read everything in properly, but it all worked out in the end.

Thanks for the help guys!

--
Dallin Jones
www.dallinjones.com