Postfix Mail Server Migration

Chris Carey chris.carey at gmail.com
Fri May 9 17:17:19 MDT 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Dallin Jones <squitoey at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking at migrating my Postfix Mail server from one machine to
> another. I have it all set up and working and I am ready to flip the
> switch. One thing that I have noticed in my testing is that once I
> change the IP address to the new address, the mail client doesn't
> fetch any mail from the new server unless I delete the account and
> create it again.

This sounds like DNS cache on the client. flush DNS on the client and try again.

> I've tried to google this, but all I can find for migrating Postfix to
> a new machine, but all that comes up is how to migrate from <enter an
> MTA> to Postfix.

What OS are the client machines and what software are they running?

> Is there a way to get things to switch automagically, or I am I stuck
> having everyone that has an email account, delete the old account and
> then add it again?
>
> Also, since the server is setup with IMAP, to copy all the messages
> from machine A to machine B, should I use rsync, or is there something
> else that should be used?

The storage of the messages is handled by postfix. What mailbox
storage method are you using? Are you using Maildir format? I
currently use mailbox_transport = virtual. rsync is fine as long as
you make the permissions and ownership on the new machine match what
it was on the old machine.