What do you use PGP/SMIME for?

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
Wed May 7 09:00:04 MDT 2008

On 07 May 2008, at 08:52, Brian Hawkins wrote:

> Out of curiosity what do people on this list use secure email for?
> Is it just to assert your identity?  Or is it for encrypting content?
> If the latter, what kind of content are you sending that needs
> encrypting?
> Is it just attachments?
> Who are you sending it to?

The reason I got it is so that I could send sensitive information,
like usernames and passwords, to other people that I work with.  But
now that I have it I can also use it for the other reasons that you
mentioned.

> How do you get the other person to install PGP/SMIME ?

I threaten to break their arms.  Or just ask them nicely.  Depends on
who I am asking.  Usually it is other technically minded people.  I
don't really see a big reason to get my families into encryption.
Although, it could not hurt.