Encryption, et al for Win XP email junkie

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Tue May 6 12:49:09 MDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 12:02 -0600, Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:
> I'm seeking suggestions for converting over to Thunderbird, with Enigmail or
> whatever combination is required so that she can employ signing and
> encryption more frequently. I am thinking that for those she conducts
> frequent business, she could, with my help, send out a brief letter
> explaining why they need to employ such measures, to keep communications
> private.

Enigmail is really only useful if the recipient of the message has a PGP
plugin for their mail client as well.  So far I have only found
Evolution as a mail client with built in PGP support.  So the likelyhood
of her preferred recipients running PGP is so low it isn't worth the
time.

OTOH, Every modern mail client made in the past decade or so, supports
S/MIME certificates, including Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird,
Evolution, etc, etc.

For email signing, S/MIME is really easy, almost every recipient will
already have the tools needed to verify her signatures.

For email encryption, she will need the recipients certificate.  Meaning
she will need to have received a signed message from that user first.

--lonnie