Ubuntu (Gutsy) + Pidgin + Links = "Denied"

Andy Bradford amb-plug at bradfords.org
Fri May 2 21:09:00 MDT 2008

Thus said "Jacob Fugal" on Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:06:28 MDT:

> Well,  I've  installed it  now,  but  it  doesn't solve  the  problem.
> Unfortunately,  the VPN  is smart/draconian  enough to  block OTR.  It
> gives the  same "Your system  policy has denied the  requested action"
> message when I try and initiate a private conversation. :(

You can combine OTR with dynamic  SSH tunneling; assuming of course that
your VPN  doesn't also block SSH.  Of course you would  probably want to
make sure that the SSH endpoint  is relatively trusted (unless of course
you don't  mind that end  having the  ability to sniff  your unencrypted
communications).

Andy
  9:09pm  up  2:04,  2 users,  load average: 1.38, 1.63, 1.52