perl file alteration detection

Kyle Waters unum at
Thu May 1 11:18:44 MDT 2008

So I want to monitor a directory for new files and changes to existing
files.  I'm planning on using a perl script for this task.  CPAN has two
modules that seem perfect for this, SGI::FAM or SYS:GAMIN.  I have
installed gamin-devel and tried to install SGI::FAM but I get the
following output:

t/fam......Can't load
for module SGI::FAM:
undefined symbol: FAMDebugLevel at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/ line 230.

If I try to install Sys::Gamin it tells me it needs SGI::FAM.  I can't
be the only one who's tried this on rhel4 can anyone help me out.  I
don't know where to go from here.