hppa linux liveCD

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Mon Jun 30 16:29:04 MDT 2008

On Monday 30 June 2008, Derek Davis wrote:
> So, the saga of my HPPA liveCD continues. I have successfully made an
> iso that is supposed to boot up and run Linux. However, when I first
> ran it, it failed saying that it didn't know what kernel to use since
> the machine could run a 32-bit or a 64-bit kernel, and I didn't have a
> kernel ending in either number. So I made a kernel ending in 32, but
> when I try to boot, it looks for the kernel that I specified, but then
> it says that it can't find a 32-bit kernel. It seems to me that it is
> trying to load the kernel, but for some reason deciding that it is not
> a 32 bit kernel. Do any of you have an idea as to why that would be,
> and what I could do to make palo (the HPPA boot loader) load the
> kernel and boot? Googling for the error only led me to the palo source
> code.

When you installed gentoo, which did you use? 32bit or 64bit?
IIRC, there are three options:

32bit kernel w/32bit userland
64bit kernel w/32bit userland
64bit kernel w/64bit userland

I'm not sure if the last one is tested well or even available yet.
Last I did it, the second option worked, but the parisc linux devs said was
kind of pointless, since the 64bit kernel would be slower and give no real
advantage. I have tried it, and it did boot and run.  But, I've always
installed option one. I believe you can choose between the first two when you
install gentoo based on the image you use--and this will determine your
toolchain and profile. I don't know if it's possible to switch between the
two, but you might be able to set up a chroot with a crossdev toolchain if
you had to.