Compilers - Am I writing one?

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 20:51:48 MDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 9:30 PM, Levi Pearson <levi at cold.org> wrote:
> There are probably easier tools to use now than YACC, but if you're
> writing in C, it may be a good choice.

Lisp actually ;-)  There's Zebu, which is similar to a yak both in
animal and programming terms.

> You might want to write a recursive descent parser.

My primary goal is to make Raskal as simple as possible, so using a
tool that requires obfuscation in the language isn't really where I
want to go.

> If you have any specific questions about any of it, or want to know of
> resources for learning more about any of it, let me know.

More resources would be good.  I've got a copy of the Dragon Book
(purple type, one each) on order and I'm reading various online
tutorials (like this one:
http://lambda.uta.edu/cse5317/notes/node1.html and the Wikipedia pages
for CFGs, DFAs, etc.) but they're not as good as it seems like they
could be.  Mostly I find myself grasping at context - what problem is
this specific thing designed to solve?, etc.  I suspect the Dragon
Book will answer these questions for me.

> Um, welcome back? :)

Hey thanks!  I didn't know anyone missed me.