OT - I don't _hate_ McMansions

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sun Jun 29 13:15:59 MDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 12:21:10AM -0600, Von Fugal wrote:
> <quote name="Levi Pearson" date="Sat, 28 Jun 2008 at 14:35 -0600">
> > >
> > > It's too bad you have to fall back on that site
> > > (www.campaignforliberty.com), since the site has scary connotations:
> > >
> > > - The book is named "The Revolution: A Manifesto"?  Seriously?  The
> > > title is reminiscent of Marx.
> >
> > No kidding.  Von and his libertarian friends remind me of nothing more
> > than a bunch of crazy Marxists preaching about how their ideals will
> > lead us to peace and prosperity.
>
> Wow, way to go guys. You fail to silence us with your superior logic so
> you revert to calling us marxist. Geez. Get a life.

No, Von, that isn't what he said. He said that you and your friends
remind him of Marxists and some of their preachy methods. Preachiness
is a common failing, and not just of Marxists. If Levi wants to judge
you on your debating style, that is his prerogative and his mistake.

That said, Von, you do yourself and the ideals you espouse no favor by
being hotheaded. You are free to take offense, but respond in a civil
manner with facts and logic, not impotent fury.

However, do so after carefully and accurately reading what your
opponent actually says. This isn't an oral debate at the college
political union: you have time to read carefully and respond
carefully.

Remember also that there is an audience. You are not likely to
convince Levi of anything, but others are watching. You do your ideals
the best service if you get some of your audience to listen to your
ideas and look into them.

> > > - "The Revolution Continues" has a clever emphasis on the word "love"
> > > spelled backwards.  I don't know if this is intended to remind the
> > > reader of substance-starved ideas like "make love, not war", but it
> > > does for me.
> >
> > I always thought that was pretty goofy, since the only thing that
> > appears to come close to 'love' in his mission statement is the
> > assertion that capitalism is the most humane economic system.
>
> So you don't like some sign somebody mady. Big deal. I doubt Ron Paul
> himself was all that directly involved in that particular design. It's a
> grassroots movement, remember??

To set the historical record straight, Ernie Hancock came up with that
logo, and I happen to think it was well done. But he did not ask
Paul's or the official campaign's permission to use it on Paul's
behalf. In fact the whole movement was a greatly decentralized grass
roots operation, occasionally to the embarrassment of the official
campaign.

> > > - With so many references to Ron Paul, the site seems like a thinly
> > > disguised campaign to elect Ron Paul rather than the home page for a
> > > political movement.
> >
> > Well, it's clearly just a place for Ron Paul to voice his propaganda.
> > And he's created quite a cult of personality around himself in some
> > circles.
>
> Ron Paul was NEVER trying to get elected. If you would read anything
> he's written you would already know that. It's always been about the
> revolution, and frankly I think we are in desperate need of it. If you
> disagree that's your prerogative, but don't call me marxist and say I'm
> in a cult.

Again, Levi did not say you were in a cult. He simply observed the
appearance of a "cult of personality" around Paul. As I've remarked in
another email, I have to agree with the complaint, but I don't blame
it on Paul. In my opinion (having met Paul once and observed him as a
public speaker since) I think he is more embarrassed than please by
the "cult of personality" around him.

> Sorry this post is so inflamatory. I enjoy debating with you Levi most of
> the time, but your comments here were just outrageous and I'm calling you
> on it. I don't ask for an apology, but you have stepped over the line.

My policy is that when I start writing something really inflammatory, I
stop, postpone the article overnight or longer, and come back to it
when I've cooled off. That policy has saved me much embarrassment over
the years.