[OT] Mailing Lists: Good for argument, bad for discussion

Doran L. Barton fozz at iodynamics.com
Sun Jun 29 12:42:10 MDT 2008

Not long ago, Von Fugal proclaimed...
> > What are your thoughts?
>
> I think mailing lists are a well suited medium for discussion. Threads
> and point-by-point replys are useful and not available in other forms of
> discussion.

I agree wholeheartedly. One thing that e-mail doesn't control, however, is
the presentation of the discussion. If someone is using a braindead client
that doesn't properly show threaded discussions or the user is oblivious
about how to use that functionality, then effectively following e-mail
discussions can be a pain in the neck.

Similarly, I know a lot of people get drawn into online forum/BBS
discussions. When I've been in a situation where a new discussion media is
being proposed, I'm always advocating the creation of a mailing list
and most others (usually less-tech-savvy) are in favor of forum
applications.

Maybe someone should create a bridge between the two worlds. :)

--
fozz at iodynamics.com is Doran L. "Fozz" Barton
 "Tahitian Noni juice: Everyone, Everywhore."