Random number challenge

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Sat Jun 28 19:09:49 MDT 2008

Stuart Jansen wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 10:29 -0600, Corey Edwards wrote:
>> Having not experienced the bit flipping in person I was going just based
>> on the description which apparently wasn't complete. Guess I'll just
>> have to berate Jayce^ for a poor description. But with the reflipping of
>> all coins whenever an impossible number is selected, yeah that makes
>> sense. Thanks for clarifying. It was a fun exercise.
>
> Jayce^ made no mistake. Historically the UUG has used the flawed
> technique you've experimentally shown to be unreliable. The flaw in
> Hans' method is that finding a single coin to flip at meetings is an
> accomplishment, let along finding lg(N) coins.

I know I rarely carry change, especially not nice hefty quarters. They
burn holes in my pocket.

But a little ziploc bag of 8 coins takes up less space than a roll of
tickets, probably costs less, and works for up to 256 people. If you go
past that point, *somebody* is bound to have some change.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

     -- Johann Sebastian Bach