grub can't find the right location for kernel at boot time

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Sat Jun 28 15:39:55 MDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 15:35 -0600, Matthew Walker wrote:
> /boot/grub.conf is the usual spot for this.

The more I know about Linux, the more I know I don't know. There's an
incredible amount of variety. Before asking or answering a question,
it's always good to preface with "on $my_favorite_distro".

I don't know of any distro that puts the grub config file
in /boot/grub.conf

On RH-based systems, the file is /boot/grub/grub.conf. There is also a
symlink /etc/grub.conf -> /boot/grub/grub.conf

On Ubuntu and SL-based systems, the file is /boot/grub/menu.lst