OT - I don't _hate_ McMansions

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Sat Jun 28 15:10:51 MDT 2008

Levi Pearson wrote:
> Actually, I think you can make pretty good guesses on where Ron Paul
> stands on most issues based on those principles.  Basically, if it
> involves the government spending money on something, he's against it.

I read Bastiat's "The Law" a few years ago.  I found it quite
convincing, so for weeks I tried applying it to every political decision
I could think of.  I was increasingly convinced Bastiat was right...
until I considered the post office.  Article I, Section 8 of the
Constitution specifies that Congress has the power to establish post
offices and post roads.  It seems to me that this statement was intended
to convey not just two specific responsibilities but also for the
federal government to establish many kinds of national infrastructures.
  It became clear to me that the authors of the Constitution had
disagreements with the libertarian philosophy.

> If it involves the government interfering with the economy at all,
> he's against it. If it involves entanglements with foreign
> governments, he's against it.

This also appears to conflict with section 8: "The Congress shall have
Power [...] To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the
several States [...]".

> I will probably agree with the way he votes on things a lot of the
> time, but I have some serious philisophical disagreements with him.

Same here.

Shane