OT - I don't _hate_ McMansions

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Sat Jun 28 14:35:24 MDT 2008

Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org> writes:
>> There's already a Campaign for Liberty website.
>
> It's too bad you have to fall back on that site
> (www.campaignforliberty.com), since the site has scary connotations:
>
> - The book is named "The Revolution: A Manifesto"?  Seriously?  The
> title is reminiscent of Marx.

No kidding.  Von and his libertarian friends remind me of nothing more
than a bunch of crazy Marxists preaching about how their ideals will
lead us to peace and prosperity.

> - "The Revolution Continues" has a clever emphasis on the word "love"
> spelled backwards.  I don't know if this is intended to remind the
> reader of substance-starved ideas like "make love, not war", but it
> does for me.

I always thought that was pretty goofy, since the only thing that
appears to come close to 'love' in his mission statement is the
assertion that capitalism is the most humane economic system.

> - With so many references to Ron Paul, the site seems like a thinly
> disguised campaign to elect Ron Paul rather than the home page for a
> political movement.

Well, it's clearly just a place for Ron Paul to voice his propaganda.
And he's created quite a cult of personality around himself in some
circles.

> I can't advocate or donate to a group with such an unclear message.  I
> looked at the mission statement, and it's reasonable until the
> statement "Our stances on other issues can be deduced from these
> general principles".  The problem is that everyone will make different
> deductions.

Not if you're right-thinking and logical like Ron Paul is!

Actually, I think you can make pretty good guesses on where Ron Paul
stands on most issues based on those principles.  Basically, if it
involves the government spending money on something, he's against it.
If it involves the government interfering with the economy at all,
he's against it.  If it involves entanglements with foreign
governments, he's against it.  If it involves restricting freedom,
he's against it.

I will probably agree with the way he votes on things a lot of the
time, but I have some serious philisophical disagreements with him.

                --Levi