OT - I don't _hate_ McMansions

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sat Jun 28 08:18:33 MDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:34:15PM -0600, Levi Pearson wrote:
> Andy Bradford <amb-plug at bradfords.org> writes:
> >

> Here are some other interesting passages from the Declaration of
> Independence:
>
> "Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from
> the consent of the governed"
>
> This suggests to me that the government may justly develop powers
> beyond the basic protection of natural rights through democratic
> means.

Ah, Levi, well done. An excellent example of twisting the meaning of a
document by selective quotation. Try quoting the complete sentence and
providing a citation, like so:

    "That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among
    Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,"

    http://www.ushistory.org/Declaration/document/index.htm

But the full sentence doesn't support your interpretation, does it?

If you want to know what Jefferson and the Continental Congress meant,
you've got a bit of reading to do, starting with eight hundred years
of the British Whig tradition, and some of the more radical Whigs like
William Lord Russell and Algernon Sidney. Then there's English law,
starting with Coke and Blackstone.

Just as a teaser, by "the consent of the governed", they did not mean
democratic elections, hanging chads or no.