grub can't find the right location for kernel at boot time

Dr. Scott S. Jones scott at fyrenice.com
Fri Jun 27 16:16:33 MDT 2008

+++ Charles Curley [27/06/08 16:06 -0600]:

> I don't know about etch, but Ubuntu stores it in /boot/grub/menu.lst.
>
> If those both fail, something like this should work:
>
> find /boot -iname menu.lst
>
> or similarly for grub.conf

My config file appears to be /boot/grub/menu.lst. The thing is that I alter
menu.lst, and change the locations there to all read [0,0] but when I
reboot, without running Update Grub, or if i do run it, it changes it all
back to [2,0] and thus refuses to boot, without the manual tweaking.