grub can't find the right location for kernel at boot time

Dr. Scott S. Jones scott at
Fri Jun 27 15:31:55 MDT 2008

I have a GRUB question > When I reboot my primary mail server machine,
running etch, it brings up the various kernels and if I just hit enter or
let it time out and roll forward, it halts.

I have to hit e on the desired kernel to load, then edit the location, which
defaults to 2,0. I edit it to 0,0 for the kernel location, and then it

If I run Grub update or whatever it is, it changes it back to the 2,0
location. How come I have to manually change it and why does it recognize
where it should look correctly for the kernel?

"If you can't afford Prevention now, how will you afford disease later?"

Sandy Chiropractic Office		Dr. Scott S. Jones

V: 801.566.5428				MAILING ADDRESS
F: 801.858.9300				PO Box 1154
E: scott at			Sandy, Utah 84091-1154