Grub Serial Console Funkiness

Mike Lovell mike at dev-zero.net
Fri Jun 27 15:17:09 MDT 2008

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:31:15 -0600, Levi Pearson <levi at cold.org> wrote:
> The ipmitool project seemed to go pretty stagnant while I was
> following things, and FreeIPMI seemed to be where all the action was
> at.  My solution was to take 'conman', a program for connecting to
> serial concentrators, and hook the FreeIPMI SOL libraries up to it.  I
> uploaded my patches to the conman-users mail list, so you should be
> able to find them if you want to try it out.  I'm not sure if they
> ever got integrated, but they were planning to do it themselves
> eventually.
>
> Anyway, the conman setup would log all the traffic on the serial
> consoles, reconnect when connections were lost, and allow you to send
> commands to multiple consoles at once.  Pretty nifty stuff.  Also
> check out 'powerman', which can use FreeIPMI's tools to deal with the
> power control of your servers.

Is this the thread you mean?
https://mail.gna.org/public/conman-users/2007-08/msg00000.html
I had looked briefly at conman but haven't tried setting it up yet. So I
guess it is time for me to do that. I tried to create a patch from that
post but I couldn't get it to work. Do you still have the patch set around
that I can use?

> Hmm, yeah, I didn't look carefully enough at that line.  Have you
> tried switching the order of 'serial' and 'console' on your 'terminal'
> line?

I did try reversing the order of 'serial' and 'console' and it didn't work.
I also tried the '--dumb' option that was in the email from Barry and that
seems to be working. I'll do some more experimentation with it and let you
all know.

Mike