Grub Serial Console Funkiness

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Fri Jun 27 12:31:15 MDT 2008

Mike Lovell <mike at dev-zero.net> writes:

> On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:11:48 -0600, Levi Pearson <levi at cold.org> wrote:

> I use ipmitool and ipmiutil. It seems like both have varying levels of
> suckiness associated with them so I am open to something else.

The ipmitool project seemed to go pretty stagnant while I was
following things, and FreeIPMI seemed to be where all the action was
at.  My solution was to take 'conman', a program for connecting to
serial concentrators, and hook the FreeIPMI SOL libraries up to it.  I
uploaded my patches to the conman-users mail list, so you should be
able to find them if you want to try it out.  I'm not sure if they
ever got integrated, but they were planning to do it themselves
eventually.

Anyway, the conman setup would log all the traffic on the serial
consoles, reconnect when connections were lost, and allow you to send
commands to multiple consoles at once.  Pretty nifty stuff.  Also
check out 'powerman', which can use FreeIPMI's tools to deal with the
power control of your servers.

> I do have grub outputting to both the console and the serial. I can see the
> grub menu on the KVM but it just sits there if I don't have SOL connected.
> The 'terminal' line that I have in the configuration should output to both.

Hmm, yeah, I didn't look carefully enough at that line.  Have you
tried switching the order of 'serial' and 'console' on your 'terminal'
line?

                --Levi