Grub Serial Console Funkiness

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Fri Jun 27 12:21:57 MDT 2008

mike wrote:
> The problem is with the GRUB configuration for a serial port. If I
> reboot a machine and have a SOL console connected, the machine reboots
> fine. But if I don't have a SOL console connected, the machine sits at the
> grub menu waiting for me to select a boot option. It completely ignores the
> timeout value in the configuration.
This may not be useful, but here's a snippet of a grub.conf (CentOS)
from a Sun V65x with Intel IPMI that works for me.

default=0
timeout=5
#splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#hiddenmenu
serial --unit=1 --speed=9600 --word=8 --parity=n --stop=1
terminal --timeout=5 --dumb --silent serial console
title CentOS (2.6.18-8.el5)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.el5 ro root=/dev/md1 norhgb quiet
console=tty0 console=ttyS1,9600
        initrd /initrd-2.6.18-8.el5.img

That boots fine whether there's a console attached or not, but my
hardware is different enough that I don't know if that  helps.  And it's
been WAY too many years since I came up with that to know if I ever had
the same problem.

FWIW,
Barry