Grub Serial Console Funkiness

Mike Lovell mike at dev-zero.net
Fri Jun 27 12:19:42 MDT 2008

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:11:48 -0600, Levi Pearson <levi at cold.org> wrote:

> Awesome, I used to do a lot of IPMI-related stuff.

Good to hear I'm not the only person crazy enough to use IPMI.

> What tools are you using?  I might be able to recommend better ones.

I use ipmitool and ipmiutil. It seems like both have varying levels of
suckiness associated with them so I am open to something else.

> I believe grub might be upset that its only console isn't working.
> Try telling it to output to both serial and the console.

I do have grub outputting to both the console and the serial. I can see the
grub menu on the KVM but it just sits there if I don't have SOL connected.
The 'terminal' line that I have in the configuration should output to both.