OT - I don't _hate_ McMansions

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Thu Jun 26 11:32:48 MDT 2008

"Bryan Sant" <bryan.sant at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm not aware of a pure data point to examine, however, whichever
> society follows closest to laissez-faire prospers the most.  History
> is pretty clear on this.  Consider the following:
>
> Milton Friedman - Greed
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=RWsx1X8PV_A

This one doesn't say anything about 'follows closest to
laissez-faire', it simply says that free markets create prosperity.
I'm certainly not arguing against that.

> Liberals and the fall of Detroit
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=oNM6HHJTUMM&feature=related

Newt Gingrich blames the fall of Detroit on Liberals.  I'm sure the
Liberals disagree.  There's not enough content in the 4 minute clip
for me to make a judgement, but I'm sure things are more complex than
the picture he's painting here.  Mostly fluff.

> Tax Rates and Job Creation
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=pUxOk-G3VS0&feature=related

Hmm, more Gingrich.  Yes, low taxes and low business regulation draw
business, that's pretty clear.  Fluff.

> Leftist Views
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=M8IAfkDBjr0&feature=related

Could you source someone else please?  Geez.  Yes, working is how you
make money and reduce poverty.  More fluff.

> Friedman on Limited Government (long, 29 min)
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6813529239937418232

Haven't got time to watch this.  Why don't you reference some *text*
instead of talking heads?

So, how about what happens when there are absolutely no government
regulations on how business is conducted?  You get child labor, abuse
of employees, rampant pollution, unsafe working conditions, and all
sorts of other problems.  Capitalism doesn't really care about these
things, because it means that (at least in the short term) profits go
way up.

Clearly, there's a balance to be struck between free market forces and
government regulation.  If you don't agree with that premise, I don't
know what to tell you.

                --Levi