[on topic] What's your favorite less-popular open source app?

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Thu Jun 26 10:40:50 MDT 2008

Michael Torrie wrote:
> Shane Hathaway wrote:
>> - FileLight: The best way I've seen to visualize what is eating up disk
>> space.
>
> Pie charts don't make much sense to me.  It's too hard to tell what
> really is bigger.  I like the way that kdirstat[1] does it with
> rectangles much better.  It's very easy to spot big files, and big
> directories since each file is always a rectangle and each set of files
> is also a rectangle.  It's very slick

That's interesting, because I've tried the rectangular visualization and
I find it much less effective.  The concentric pie chart tells me just
what I want to know almost instantly.  I wonder why we see it
differently.  Either we are looking for different things or there is
some difference in the way we perceive things visually.

Shane