OT - I don't _hate_ McMansions

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Thu Jun 26 06:34:20 MDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 21:51 -0600, Andy Bradford wrote:
> They are not an option because  even some low-income people want a home.

I think you meant house. A house is not a home. An apartment, townhouse
or even an RV can be a home.

Even some low-income people sports cars. Should we repeal work place
safety laws to bring down the price of sports cars? (You'll probably say
yes. It's becoming clear we're not likely to reach any agreement since
you're blindly anti-government.)

> > I'm all for limited government, but only within reason.
>
> Such  a definite  standard  as ``what's  reasonable!''  Masster is  very
> nicccce, oh yesss, very niccce.

Never heard of democracy? Huh, that's too bad 'cause it's been working
pretty well for us for a couple hundred years.

> > Wise zone can do a lot to  ensure the long term health of a community.
> > Poor zoning can destroy it.
>
> And again, who is going to  determine this ``wise zoning?'' Some kind of
> omniscient group of people that know  better than other groups of people
> what is better for them and society?

Never heard of trial and error, the scientific method, wisdom from
experience, or even common sense? For example, we already know that
putting pig farms next to residential areas is bound to turn out poorly.
We know that busy primary roads tends to make the area less safe for
small children. A hundred years ago we didn't know that creating
high-density low-income housing like the projects was a bad idea, now
based on experience we do.

A pure free market does not magically converge instantly to perfection,
it takes time and along the way there are bumps. Government should be
given the same opportunity.

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. For the
life of me, I can't understand why you insist on throwing out the rest
of the tool box and standing rigid gripping your hammer, refusing to
acknowledge any other tool might be useful. Eventually you'll realize
your hammer may be good for driving nails, but when it slips and puts a
hole in the wall, the hammer ain't gonna be able to fix it. You'll need
more tools.

The whole point of capitalism is to harness individual greed for the
good of society. Occasionally, though, things become unbalanced and the
market starts putting holes in the wall. Government is a tool to make
capitalism possible and limit the damage when it goes wrong.