OT - I don't _hate_ McMansions

Scott Jackman scott.jackman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 22:55:41 MDT 2008

> > why do  these laws exist? to  keeps our communities from  becoming the
> > ugly byproducts of short-term gain  from developers. the local elected
> > officials regulate the local housing development market - weird, huh?
>
> I highly doubt this is anywhere close to the real reason why they exist.

On the contrary, that is precisely why they *do* exist.  It's not to keep
the developers and builders from getting rich, but to allow a city to master
plan where they want certain densities of housing.  Your city has a general
plan which, among other things, explicitly states the intent of residential
zones in regard to density.  Cities with good planning can have
neighborhoods of varying densities that work together to make a nice
environment.

Without these laws and plans, cities would have too much high density
housing (why wouldn't a developer go for that?) which in the end lowers the
value of the entire city.

Scott