OT - I don't _hate_ McMansions

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Wed Jun 25 17:19:54 MDT 2008

Stuart Jansen <sjansen at buscaluz.org> writes:
> More likely to contribute to urban sprawl. More likely to contribute to
> gridlock. More likely to have a pot farm in the basement.

Hey, if the people want to buy houses with insufficient roads going to
them and then pay all sorts of extra money in gas while idling, stuck
on the same gridlocked roads... that's the free market in action!  Who
are you to deny them what they obviously want?

> I'm all for limited government, but only within reason. Some problems
> are better solved by the market, other problems are better solved by
> government. Wise zone can do a lot to ensure the long term health of a
> community. Poor zoning can destroy it.

Hey, I know the answer to this one!  Governments are incompetent and
can't be trusted to make decisions like that.  The almighty market
must make such decisions, because it always knows best.  I mean, when
have you ever seen a business make an incompetent decision?  Well,
okay, maybe they sometimes screw up, but then they go out of business!
Wait, I guess there are some pretty bad companies that are still
around.  Hmm, well, that must be an anomaly!  Government bad, business
good, mmkay?

(Sarcasm aside, I agree with Stuart.  I'm for mostly-free markets with
limited government oversight, done as much at the community and state
level as possible.  Although governments are bureaucratic, I don't
think they're as incompetent as a lot of people around here seem to,
at least not *necessarily* incompetent.)

                --Levi