Firefox Bookmark Update Indicator

Dennis Muhlestein devel at muhlesteins.com
Wed Jun 25 09:14:58 MDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Joshua Lutes <huzzak at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering if anybody knows of an add-on for Firefox that would indicate
> when a change has been made to a website that has been bookmarked.
>
> RSS feeds are nifty but I don't like that live bookmarks are displayed as
> folders in Firefox.  I'd rather that it be displayed as a single page that
> notifies me, by changing color maybe, whenever the RSS feed is updated with
> new content since the last time that I visited.  Maybe even be able to
> associate normal pages with their RSS feeds so that I could go directly to
> 'em.
>
> I guess, if nobody knows of this thing's existence, could you guess at how
> tricky it'd be to code up?  And how possible.  I've never done a plugin
> before, but I guess I could try.  They are done in javascript right?
> Anyway, thanks for any infos.

I don't know of an existing plugin, but I have coded a couple firefox
plugins.  Any UI is done in XUL/XBL and custom action is done in
JavaScript.  You can bind to different languages but it's a lot more
work than it's worth for the common case.  There are many XPCom
functions/components that you can use from within your JavaScript code
to perform actions that JavaScript can't normally do.  (Like Socket
and File IO).

Anyway, it's a bit of a learning curve to get started but there are
some very nifty tools to make it easier.  1st, find the Developer
Extension for FireFox that builds extensions for you.  It can also
create a new blank/stub plugin for you.  2nd, if you don't already
have FireBug, get that and search for the documents on how to debug
your extension with it.

Your plugin doesn't sound like it would be very difficult to
implement, you can grab the bookmark component from FireFox, iterate
through the bookmarks, and make web requests (possibly even just HEAD
requests to the marked) pages and then just provide the proper
notifications.

-Dennis