OT - I don't _hate_ McMansions

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 11:43:33 MDT 2008

Bryan Sant wrote:
> The kids that do that for builders (at least the ones I've talked to)
> make around $12/hr.  That freakin' rocks.  I would have LOVED the
> opportunity to make that kind of money as a kid.  Desperate times or
> unmatched opportunity?

Oh wow.  That's one of the most amazing assertions I have ever heard.
That's certainly news to child miners in places such as Africa and
Afghanistan.  Certainly news to the millions of children that
voluntarily work under the most horrid conditions because they have to,
such as children in India and China that recycle *our* waste electronics
and metals.  But they want to destroy their health and abandon
educational opportunities, obviously.

A general comment on this thread:  As for the right to a decadent
lifestyle, sure we can enjoy the fruits of our labors, so long as they
don't impact on the well-being and rights of others.  And certainly our
consumer lifestyles are *most definitely* effecting in a negative way
the rights and well-being of people, including children, across the
entire world.  This is the problem, and I think Dave and others are
alluding to it when they decry the state of the average American.
Consider that your right to buy new toys and throw away your old toys,
build huge houses, drive large luxury cars, does negative impact many,
many people.  In fact, high oil prices and their effects on developing
nations and poverty across the world is entirely our fault (soon to be
China's fault though).  Why should we think that oil for us on our terms
is some kind of inherent right?