OT - I don't _hate_ McMansions

Grant Robinson santiago at mr-r.net
Mon Jun 23 13:15:45 MDT 2008

On Jun 22, 2008, at 6:50 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Jonathan Ellis wrote:
>> it's easy to buy a lot and have a builder build whatever size home
>> you like
>> on it.
>>

> I've never seen a lot for sale that wasn't owned by a developer. And
> generally, they won't sell it to you unless you let *them* build on
> it.Exceptions exist, but they are rare.

Not as rare as you might think, at least in the areas of Utah county
that I was interested in when my wife and I were looking for a new
home 6 to 10 months ago.  I looked at a lot of lots, many of them were
being sold by the person who bought them (speculators), some were
being sold with a "use our builder or your own" type of deal, and a
few were "buy the lot, but you must use our builder to build the
house".  I was looking in various parts of Orem, Provo, Springville,
Spanish Fork, Lindon, and Pleasant Grove.  It is probably highly
dependent on the subdivision that you are looking in.

Grant