OT - I don't _hate_ McMansions

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Sun Jun 22 00:19:27 MDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 22:04 -0600, Josh Coates wrote:
> >McMansions are  built because people  want them;
>
> ditto to stuart jansen's brilliant statement - (plus a "duh." added by me,
> directed towards andy. ;-)

There's quite a difference between a sweat shop and a McMansion, and I
don't think the analogy holds. Anyone who can afford a house of that
scale certainly has other options. They may not be ones that fit into
their idea of style or luxury, but the choice is there.

The analogy does hold more accurately in that the quality of homes
across the board does seem to be dropping, for whatever reason and
McMansions are just the higher end of that. While I'm sure it's not the
only cause, I see a large factor is that Americans want to have
everything regardless of the quality. It's just the fact of *having* it
that has value and not the article itself. The home just *has* to have
vaulted ceilings and a jetted tub. To do that and keep the price low,
which seems to be the most important factor any more (it's the only
explanation for processed "cheese" singles), the developer cuts back
other places. The key is that because we shop that way, eventually
that's all we're offered.

So no, we didn't actively set out to decrease the quality of everything
on the market, but the blame lies squarely with every one of us. I call
this the Walmartification of America.

And I admit that I suffer from this same syndrome. The first step to
overcoming it is of course to recognize it. Maybe we need a new 12 step
program.

"Hi, my name is Corey and I'm an American."

Corey