Dissipating Heat in a Digital Picture Frame

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Fri Jun 20 20:52:08 MDT 2008

Joshua Lutes wrote:
> So, things are pretty tight inside, but there is still space.  Especially on
> the bottom and top of the frame.  What can I do to help the heat to
> dissipate and not destroy the computer and the lcd?  Ideally something low
> cost (or no cost).  Do you think that cutting vents will be enough?

Where are the laptop's fans? Most laptops I've seen have an intake and
exhaust right next to each other, and the air snakes through the
innards.  You should probably try to put a vent right next to the intake
and another one right next to the exhaust. You may even consider
building a duct (cereal box cardboard would probably be fine) so the air
flows directly from the exterior into the intake vent, and then directly
out, thus not heating the inside of the frame unecessarily.

I would also try to transfer heat to the exterior by additional means.
Specifically, I'm thinking that a nice conductive metal with lots of
surface area, like a couple CPU heat sinks, could be fastened to the
back (bottom) of the laptop and then be allowed to protrude out the back
of the frame.

What do you think about that?

--Dave