OT - Gas to hit 4.00

Andy Bradford amb-plug at bradfords.org
Thu Jun 19 21:34:51 MDT 2008

Thus said Dave Smith on Mon, 16 Jun 2008 22:03:35 MDT:

> Yes, I suppose some home buyers have *consciously* opted to sacrifice
> acreage in favor of a larger house. I just don't happen to know any.

Two people with whom  I have worked in the past  purchased homes with no
yard, mostly because they didn't want to bother with upkeep. Owning land
just for the sake of it doesn't necessarily go very far, and indeed, the
property might actually lose value unless it is kept up.

> Whatever the  case, you can't deny  or discount the fact  that it's in
> the developers' best  money-making interest to pack as  many houses on
> as little land as possible.

Yes, and you can't deny or discount  the fact that consumers come in all
flavors. Some  like small homes,  some large;  some like small  plots of
land with large homes, some like it the other way.

I'm  not saying  that  there aren't  bad developers  out  there, or  bad
businessmen, just that its hard to  generalize this kind of thing. There
are millions of people in America and  its hard to believe that they all
want a lot of land with a big home.

> Couple the  developer's desire  for more  profit with  a taste-lacking
> populace  of  consumers  who  only  sees  square  footage  and  garage
> capacity, and, well, welcome to the United States.

My  dream home  would be  an Italian  style villa  in campagna  (country
house) on 5--10 acres. :-) But then, who can afford to build with brick,
stone or cement anymore?

Andy
  9:34pm  up 20 min,  1 user,  load average: 1.09, 1.21, 0.90