OT - I don't _hate_ McMansions

Dennis Muhlestein devel at muhlesteins.com
Thu Jun 19 16:41:42 MDT 2008

>> Or buyers could self-regulate and not purchase a home with an
>> unattractive community landscape, and then complain about the fact
>> later.
>>

> If you're buying a new home today, you don't have a choice. This is partly
> because of developer choice, but mostly because pretty much every tree along
> the Wasatch front was planted by humans. As a result, the only mature trees
> in the state exist only in older neighborhoods.

For the right amount of money you have a choice.  There are plenty of
homes with big lots and even a few with lots with nice trees.  I agree
with having to plant trees for the most part though.  Where our home
sits, there were no trees previously to the developer purchasing the
land.  It was farm land actually.  I assume before the farmer plowed
and used the land, there was probably nothing that we'd have wanted in
somebody's yard anyway.  Brush, etc (and a freaking lot of rocks.)

-Dennis