Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Thu Jun 19 16:11:09 MDT 2008

On Thursday 19 June 2008, Levi Pearson wrote:
> Nicholas Leippe <nick at leippe.com> writes:
> > Agreed. But, therein lies the problem: the two-party system that leaves
> > no room for anything else. It's essentially a political oligopoly--they
> > just make it look like there's a difference to make it look "fair", when
> > it's really the same people pulling all the strings on both sides.
> >
> > So, how then, working 'with' the system (that is, continuing to vote
> > mainstream), can the system ever possibly be changed? I don't see it ever
> > happening in that way.
>
> I don't see it ever happening by voting for 3rd parties in
> Presidential elections, either.  If I ever live in a swing state, I
> certainly won't give up the chance to help pick the next President in
> order for some vague, historically unlikely hope of bringing some 3rd
> party into power.  I won't try to talk you out of doing it, though.
> You're more than welcome to, just don't tell me I'm doing something
> unethical or otherwise wrong by voting strategically.

I don't think it's unethical or wrong, just that it's not conducive to
change--because it's an act of not changing behavior--continuing the same old
thing again. You're saying it's just playing the game, and you do so because
we're constrained to it. That's fine. I say that by doing so you're also as a
corollary voting that you accept the rules, instead of voicing in the only
way possible within the rules that you'd like a revision.

> Regarding the oligopoly thing: I disagree that there's some secret
> puppetmaster behind the scenes pulling the strings, or that there's
> some conspiracy keeping things from changing.  I think the two parties
> are on opposite sides of the top of the big hump in the bell curve of
> political opinion, and they're there because that's where the votes
> are.  Certainly there's some corruption, but not *that* much.

You are free to think that things are hunky dory all you want. I would rather
know how bad things really are and be able to, with that knowledge, be better
prepared for whatever worse may come, than to be surprised when something
else bad happens and wonder "where did that come from?"

Some food for thought:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/naomi-wolf/ten-steps-to-close-down-a_b_46695.html