Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Thu Jun 19 15:35:59 MDT 2008

Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org> writes:
> Is it conceivable that we might fix the ballot through massive civil
> *obedience*?  I imagine a whole lot of people already prefer one of
> the many nonviable candidates rather than the latest elephant or
> donkey.  It might be possible to convince those people to actually
> vote for their true preference, not on the grounds that their vote
> will sway the current election, but rather that their vote will act as
> a petition for voting reform.

No, not conceivable.  Because voting for a 3rd party is not really
voting for voting reform, and because you're not going to convince a
significant number of people to do this.  Libertarian and Constitution
party fanatics are probably already planning to vote for their
candidates.  There's no 3rd party that I can see that's making much
real noise this election cycle.  The big noise was Ron Paul, he's a
Republican, and he dropped out.

                --Levi