Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Thu Jun 19 15:29:44 MDT 2008

Nicholas Leippe <nick at leippe.com> writes:
> Agreed. But, therein lies the problem: the two-party system that leaves no
> room for anything else. It's essentially a political oligopoly--they just
> make it look like there's a difference to make it look "fair", when it's
> really the same people pulling all the strings on both sides.
>
> So, how then, working 'with' the system (that is, continuing to vote
> mainstream), can the system ever possibly be changed? I don't see it ever
> happening in that way.

I don't see it ever happening by voting for 3rd parties in
Presidential elections, either.  If I ever live in a swing state, I
certainly won't give up the chance to help pick the next President in
order for some vague, historically unlikely hope of bringing some 3rd
party into power.  I won't try to talk you out of doing it, though.
You're more than welcome to, just don't tell me I'm doing something
unethical or otherwise wrong by voting strategically.

Regarding the oligopoly thing: I disagree that there's some secret
puppetmaster behind the scenes pulling the strings, or that there's
some conspiracy keeping things from changing.  I think the two parties
are on opposite sides of the top of the big hump in the bell curve of
political opinion, and they're there because that's where the votes
are.  Certainly there's some corruption, but not *that* much.

                --Levi