OT - I don't _hate_ McMansions

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 14:54:53 MDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Josh Coates <jcoates at gmail.com> wrote:
> aside from magic juice pyramid schemes, this is my favorite utah rant
> topic.  so for the record, i DO hate mcmansions.  the wikipedia article is
> great.

Wo!  Tell me more about this "magic juice" you talk of.  Sounds like
there could be a lot of money in a venture like that!

> mcmansion's are built because greedy developers want to squeeze every square
> foot they can out of the development land they buy, so they cram these
> monster faux houses on tiny lots, and people (especially around here) just
> drink whatever they are being served, so they buy them.

Seems like the market is bearing this strategy.  If perspective home
owners began to pass up these homes due to the lack of lot size, then
developers would get the message and subdivide with larger lots.  Some
developers do actually do this, but the most do not, because the
majority of home buyers clearly don't care.

> it's the job of the city council to put in place restriction on square
> footage to lot size ratio's - but the city councils are usually filled with
> developers, real estate agents or other affiliated cronies and so that will
> never happen.

Yes, and yes.  Perhaps you should run for local public office to help
avert this trend.

> and about the trees - yeah, they usually bulldoze down any trees, bluffs or
> variations in the terrian to make building easier.  this is something that
> local government should regulate as well, but they don't.

Or buyers could self-regulate and not purchase a home with an
unattractive community landscape, and then complain about the fact
later.

> it's the whole "free market" issue - you can't expect these greedy SOB's to
> NOT try and make as much money as possible, so that's why you have to have
> something like a city council step in to represent the people and the
> community, and to think longer term than flipping the next mcmansion.

Are you suggesting that we regulate the "free market"?  That always
works so well.  Lets do that:

1) Laws are passed in Utah that no lot may be smaller than 1 acre, no
trees may be bulldozed, and no hill may be flattened.
2) The cost of building a new home skyrockets.  The raw lot is more
expensive, more curb, more pipe, more wire, more grass seed, etc.
3) The cost to buy a new home skyrockets to cover the new expense, so
drastically fewer homes are sold.
4) Average families can't afford a stand-alone home so they end up
buying a townhome/condo instead.
10) Nuclear holocaust

Why not just buy in a city or community that has current rules on the
books that meet your requirements without imposing those restrictions
on me or anyone else who wants an affordable house firstly and a big
lot secondly?

> and about the parade of homes - holy cow, that's got to be the most
> sickening thing i've ever experienced here in utah.  a couple of years back
> i went to a handful of them and i had to quit on account of my aversion to
> vomiting.  it seems as though these home owners could've saved a lot of
> trouble by just putting a big sign in their yard that says "I JUST WANT YOU
> TO KNOW THAT I HAVE MORE MONEY THAN YOU DO."

That's classy.  Where can I get a sign like that?

> fake plaster, fake wood, fake bricks, fake antiques, fake "old world
> european-ness".  it's just too much for me.  thank you ivory, patterson and
> local city councils for making utah just that much more embarrassing of a
> place to live.

Personally, I really enjoy living in Utah.  Surely every location has
some trade-offs, but if I truly felt that where I lived was
"embarrassing", I would try to retain some semblance of self-respect
and move.  Why stay in Utah if it is such an embarrassment?

-Bryan