Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Thu Jun 19 11:09:54 MDT 2008

Nicholas Leippe <nick at leippe.com> writes:

> Your vote does count, even when not going to one of the only two possible
> winners in the current election. It goes to the score card that everyone
> sees--and that goes to either solidify or change opinions down the road--the
> seeds of change.

That's a poor consolation prize if your vote helped put the candidate
you like *least* in charge of the executive branch for the next four
years, ahead of someone who would have been less distasteful.  If you
truly consider them both equally bad, or if you live in a state that
overwhelmingly disagrees with you, then by all means, vote for the
person you'd really like to be elected.

It's really regrettable that we have no official way to tally our
'second pick' or some other kind of ranking, because then we could
influence both the current and future races.  Sometimes one has to
vote based on short-term outcomes, and sometimes based on long-term
ones.  Situations vary, and you should spend some time thinking about
it.

                --Levi