Von Fugal von at fugal.net
Thu Jun 19 10:33:10 MDT 2008

<quote name="Levi Pearson" date="Thu, 19 Jun 2008 at 10:20 -0600">
> "Dan Stovall" <dbstovall at gmail.com> writes:
> > Thank you, Jason.  Focusing on 3rd parties, and Ron Paul aside, the
> > problem and solution that Levi has presented is a Catch-22.
> > Apparently, it makes no sense or difference to vote 3rd party in the
> > general elections because by then it is too late.  So, spend time
> > between elections drumming up support.  However, the money needed to
> > educate the populace, the access to debates, even the access to the
> > ballot itself, is often based on results from previous elections.  So,
> > all you have to do is convince people to vote for your 3rd party in an
> > upcoming election to get those resources.  But that makes no sense
> > since your party has no chance of winning.  So based on election
> > results 3rd parties then have little to no resources with which to
> > campaign between elections.  They can only hope that the merits of
> > their platform are enough to sway voters in the next election.  But
> > that makes no sense, since they have no change of winning.  And on and
> > on.  In other words, the game is rigged to keep new comers out, and
> > leave the field consisting only of 2 parties that as Levi said, aren't
> > that different in full political spectrum.
>
> You're missing the 'push for voting reform bills' play that can take
> place in non-election years, if you really want third parties to be
> able to have more influence.  Congress votes every year, not just
> election years.

We're not talking about voting reform. We're talking about making the
best of the system as it is. Because you said it, it's to late to change
it this time around (and probably for many more cycles). So what do we
do? Break the cycle!

Von Fugal