Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Thu Jun 19 10:30:15 MDT 2008

Nicholas Leippe <nick at leippe.com> writes:

> It goes back to my opinion that the voting system is flawed, since
> it encourages this type of thinking--because it limits choices, and
> people think they have to choose from a limited menu. Well, the chef
> does take special orders, and if enough people order it, it will
> become a regular menu item--but only when enough people stand up and
> order it, as many times as it takes to for it to happen.

Hmm, haven't I been saying this all along?  I've phrased all my
arguments in the context of our current voting system, and repeatedly
mentioned voting reform as a reasonable way of trying to get your
third party elected.

A voting system can be analyzed to determine the optimal way to vote
depending on what the outcome you would like is.  Von has been saying
that you should always vote for the candidate you want to see elected,
even if they stand no chance of winning.  I disagree; sometimes that
might be the right choice, but depending on the race, the probability
of different outcomes, and what you would like to see happen, that
might not always be the best way to vote.

I have to take issue with most of the rest of your email, though,
because you seemed to be talking about Ron Paul, and he was not a
third-party candidate.  Maybe a lot of votes for him would have
encouraged the Republican party to change, but that's just a variable
to consider when deciding who to vote for, and may or may not be
overcome by other variables (such as whether you have a strong
preference between the viable candidates).

                --Levi