Jacob Fugal lukfugl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 10:14:29 MDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Von Fugal <von at fugal.net> wrote:
> Here's an analogy. Someone asks me if I want to drown or fall off a
> cliff. I answer NEITHER. He then assures me that most people (group
> meeting, whatever) are going to choose one or the other, and whichever
> wins we're all going to experience. I still chose NEITHER! Either way I
> die, what's the difference? Even if not enough people choose neither to
> save us all, at least I can know I didn't walk willfully to my death
> without a fight.

See, there's the difference between Von, et al., and Levi, et al. It's
in the utilities you assign to the outcomes. If you think having
either Obama or McCain elected is nigh unto death, Hitler, or Stalin,
then your viewpoint makes some sense. But for those that believe that
it's really not *that* bad, there may be some value in electing one
over the other.

Jacob Fugal