Von Fugal von at fugal.net
Thu Jun 19 10:12:47 MDT 2008

<quote name="Stuart Jansen" date="Thu, 19 Jun 2008 at 09:48 -0600">
> On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 09:35 -0600, Levi Pearson wrote:
> > Nor does it help Ron Paul, who was campaigning as a Republican.  Doing
> > so would have given him some chance of winning if he'd won the
> > Republican candidacy, but in reality it just ensured that he wouldn't
> > be a candidate in the real election.  It's hard to say, but I imagine
> > he planned it that way precisely because he would be stealing more
> > votes from the Republicans than the Democrats if he ran as a third
> > party.
>
> Which is value of hopeless candidates. They may not be able to win, but
> they can make someone lose. Because American elections so often come
> down to hair thin margins, fence sitters have disproportionate power. As
> long as they don't become so extreme they decide that mutual destruction
> is preferable to mutual benefit.

So if that party doesn't want to lose next time around, then they can
espouse the ideas that swayed those fence sitters! If the fence sitters
refuse to be swayed because of some ill-conceived notions, then the
party gets no such messages, and nothing is ever fixed.

Von Fugal