Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Thu Jun 19 09:48:27 MDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 09:35 -0600, Levi Pearson wrote:
> Nor does it help Ron Paul, who was campaigning as a Republican.  Doing
> so would have given him some chance of winning if he'd won the
> Republican candidacy, but in reality it just ensured that he wouldn't
> be a candidate in the real election.  It's hard to say, but I imagine
> he planned it that way precisely because he would be stealing more
> votes from the Republicans than the Democrats if he ran as a third
> party.

Which is value of hopeless candidates. They may not be able to win, but
they can make someone lose. Because American elections so often come
down to hair thin margins, fence sitters have disproportionate power. As
long as they don't become so extreme they decide that mutual destruction
is preferable to mutual benefit.

Voting third party only makes sense if you've drunk so much kool-aid you
really think both candidates are as bad as Hitler. If you are still
sane, however, it makes more sense to pick between the candidates that
stand a chance of winning. When you vote third party, you (and everyone
like you) are increasing the probability that the candidate closest to
your position will lose.