Joshua Lutes huzzak at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 09:44:58 MDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Levi Pearson <levi at cold.org> wrote:

> Voting for the viable candidate that you agree with most is what makes the
> most sense, whether you agree with them very much or not.

I always figured that you voted for the person you most agreed with
regardless of whether or not he was viable.  Because one vote will make a
difference in only the rarest of occasions (and then in only a very limited
geographic region) a vote is more a marker of agreement than anything else.
It means that you like the ideas espoused by this man or this party.  If the
third party gets enough votes their attracting ideas are stolen by the other
parties so that they can maintain their dominance.  Voting for something I
disagree with seems like a stupid way to influence the government, since
even if it succeeds I'm not going to get what I want.

Anyway, the two parties are indistinguishable in practice, so it doesn't
even matter which of the two win.  Better to use your vote to indicate your
opinion since it really isn't good for anything else.

Joshua Lutes