Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Thu Jun 19 09:12:26 MDT 2008

Von Fugal <von at fugal.net> writes:
>> Regardless of who *you* vote for, one of
>> the viable candidates will win, but your vote won't have directly
>> helped to determine which one.
>
> That's exactly the attitude that gets us to exactly where we are today
> and keeps us lurking down this ever perilous road. "One of the evils
> *will* win! Wo is us! There's no hope but to choose an evil that serves
> me better." puhleeze. There is no voting rule that says one of the two
> major parties has to win. It's we the people who decide that, and that's
> exactly what I'm trying to get people to realize. And the ONLY chance to
> change it is break the cycle and not GIVE A DAMN about who everyone else
> is voting for!

You seem to have a profound, willful ignorance of the mathematics of
elections.  If *everyone* who wanted Ron Paul to be President voted
for him, he would *still* *lose*.  That much has been clear from the
beginning.  The solution to this, for those who support Ron Paul's
platform, has nothing whatsoever to do with voting.  By the time
voting comes to pass, it's too late, because those votes stand no
chance of making any difference aside from indirectly influencing
which of the two major candidates gets elected.

The solution, for third-party supporters, is to spend a whole lot of
time and effort *outside* of the election season to create support for
their platform by trying to sway the opinion of the people.  Only when
a platform gets palpable popular support from the populace at large
does it make any sense to vote for a candidate running on that
platform.

                --Levi