Von Fugal von at fugal.net
Wed Jun 18 19:09:05 MDT 2008

<quote name="Levi Pearson" date="Wed, 18 Jun 2008 at 14:51 -0600">
> "Matthew Walker" <mwalker at kydance.net> writes:
> > I ask then... If I can't vote for either candidate that 'can win', what am I supposed to
> > do? And don't say that I should vote for one of them anyway. There is no lesser of two
> > evils here. They are both absolutely abysmal choices, and I will /NOT/ vote for either
> > one of them.
> >
> > Should I not vote at all? I don't think so. So what do I do? Complain loudly? Grab a
> > torch and pitchfork?
> >
> > No, I think I should do my patriotic duty, and vote for who I believe will do the best
> > thing for this country.
>
> I don't think anyone said that you aren't allowed to vote for someone
> you know doesn't have a chance of winning.  If you really don't have a
> preference between the viable candidates, it doesn't matter if you
> don't vote for one of them.

But voting third candidate is only as evil as choosing one of the two
evils... give me a break.

> Regardless of who *you* vote for, one of
> the viable candidates will win, but your vote won't have directly
> helped to determine which one.

That's exactly the attitude that gets us to exactly where we are today
and keeps us lurking down this ever perilous road. "One of the evils
*will* win! Wo is us! There's no hope but to choose an evil that serves
me better." puhleeze. There is no voting rule that says one of the two
major parties has to win. It's we the people who decide that, and that's
exactly what I'm trying to get people to realize. And the ONLY chance to
change it is break the cycle and not GIVE A DAMN about who everyone else
is voting for!

That's not to say voting third party is inherintly noble, if you agree
with one of the two major candidates then by all means vote for 'em. If
you DON'T agree with one of them, and your just throwing away your vote
to avoid something you don't want instead of voting for something you DO
WANT, then guess what? You're going to get what you don't want.

> There is nothing inherently patriotic in voting for someone who has no
> chance of winning, especially if you write them in.  It's an empty
> act, meant only to soothe your own conscience.  No one knows (or can
> verify, if you tell) who you voted for.  If your candidate really had
> enough supporters for the strategic voters to make a difference in
> pulling off a successful election, the candidate would be a viable one
> and the strategic voters wouldn't have to pick someone else.

It is not empty, it is not meaningless. Your right about third party not
being patriotic. What's patriotic is holding to your values and voting
for someone you really believe in, regardless of their chances.
I am not telling you who to vote for, I'm just asking that you take a
long deep look at it and vote for who best fits your values. period.

> As a side note, and contrary to popular opinion, voting does not grant
> the right to complain about the government.  That right is inherent in
> our right to free speech and assembly, and you have it whether you
> vote or not.  So, don't feel compelled to vote if you don't have a
> preference between the potential winners.  On the other hand, it
> doesn't hurt to vote for a sure loser if you've got no preference in
> the real race, but don't try to frame it like you're doing some great
> and noble thing.

Again if you must vote for the lesser of two goods to keep evil out of
office that's one thing. But voting for the lesser of two evils still
implies your voting for an evil, and that just ain't right. Compromise
is a useful tool, but a dangerous one. You must be very careful about
what you compromise, lest you regret it. I regret to the utmost voting
for Bush however evil I thought Gore was. Just a friendly warning.

Von Fugal