Von Fugal von at fugal.net
Wed Jun 18 18:47:38 MDT 2008

<quote name="Levi Pearson" date="Wed, 18 Jun 2008 at 14:05 -0600">
> Von Fugal <von at fugal.net> writes:
>
> > The problem is real, if you don't vote the two party system then someone
> > in the two party system still wins, so might as well have it be the one
> > you despise less, right? WRONG! The only reason this is a problem is
> > because everyone thinks this way. If everyone would jump off and think
> > for themselve (not second guessing everyone else) then we wouldn't HAVE
> > this problem. And guess what, it starts with YOU and ME. You CANNOT wait
> > till everybody else does the right thing, you just have to Do It.
>
> You assume that YOU and ME doing the 'right thing' will somehow
> influence everyone else to do the same.  The world just doesn't work
> that way; some of us actually think about how the current voting
> system actually works and what a vote for a candidate means in that
> context.  What you would *like* a vote to mean is largely irrelevant.

There it is, the circular logic. *sigh*

> Besides, what if there's no one I support 100%?  What am I supposed to
> do with my vote then, eh?  Surely you wouldn't advocate voting for the
> one candidate that I merely dislike less than all the others.  Of
> course not; you advocate voting for Ron Paul, and if I don't agree
> with him, then I need to change my mind until I do, and then vote for
> him.  I see how this works.

I have never said that. Sure, it's no secret that I support Ron Paul,
but I don't think everyone should vote for him simply because I like
him. Levi, you and I have had this discussion before. I try to get you
to tell me what it is you don't like about Ron Paul and the ONLY thing
that ever comes out of your mouth is "he doesn't have a chance." Well
I'm sorry but you're just part of the problem there, buddy. If you
really don't like him then just come out and say so, then I'll stop
bugging you about throwing away a vote.

Sure it can be a calculation game. If the risk factor of B getting into
office outweighs the benefit of C getting into office (weighted with
probabilities or something) then vote for A PROVIDED you agree with A
although perhaps not as strongly as C. Follow? Voting the lesser of two
evils is what I rail against. If you're calling them both evils then
don't compromise yourself! And remember kids, McInsane and Obama are
both evils.

> Last time I checked, there wasn't a manual for proper voting that says
> it's wrong to vote strategically if I feel that's the best use of my
> vote.  You and your 'right thing' can go take a hike.  Meanwhile,
> you'd have a better chance of success pushing for a change in the
> voting system than trying to convince people to vote in our current
> system in the manner you suggest.

Hence why I try to convince people the merits of conscious voting. If
you really believe choosing the lesser of two evils is the best way to
vote, then have at it. I will still disagree with you. That's the beauty
of America, we each can say and vote as we please. At least for a little
while longer... :/

Von Fugal