Dan Stovall dbstovall at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 14:44:02 MDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Steven Alligood <steve at bluehost.com> wrote:
> Unless, of course, your voting of your ideals results in them being taken
> away.

Ideals are given up, they can't be taken away.  Perhaps you mean
"rights".  That is a stickier issue of course, I would argue that both
candidates we have to choose from pose a real threat of taking away
rights.  So then, who should I vote for?  The one that will take away
the least rights, or the rights I care about least?  Because they are
all pretty precious to me, even the ones that I don't exercise on a
regular basis.

> The only way to fix the current system is from within.  If you vote for
> someone who has no chance of winning, you are doing nothing to make this a
> better country; you're just complaining, but unwilling to help.

> If you vote for someone who has no chance of winning, you have no right to
> complain about the winner, because you did not take the opportunity given
> you to effect the outcome.

Tell that to Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, Madison.  There are
other ways to change the system.  I am not one to advocate bloody
revolution.  But the options you want to limit people to are what lead
to revolutions.  I hate having to choose between a douche and a turd
sandwich over and over.  Therefore I go with option C that I research
and find that I agree with enough to earn my vote. And then you blame
people like me for the fact that you keep choosing a douche or a turd
sandwich?  Are you crazy?  I absolutely have the right to complain
about the policies of a politician whether or not I voted for them or
their primary opponent, or a 3rd party candidate that I actually
agreed with.  The 1st amendment is not limited to people that vote
Democrat or Republican.  I am sorry if this sounds angry, but your
arrogance makes my blood boil.