Von Fugal von at fugal.net
Wed Jun 18 13:44:19 MDT 2008

<quote name="Steven Alligood" date="Wed, 18 Jun 2008 at 12:17 -0600">
> Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> >On Thursday 12 June 2008, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> >
> >>"throwing away my vote"
> >>

> >IMO, the only way to truly throw away your vote is by casting a vote for
> >someone you don't want.  Voting for the "lesser of two evils" is still
> >putting support behind one of them. IMO, better to not cast a ballot in
> >either of their direction--let them know they are not wanted by letting
> >them win with a minority vote.
> >
> >The fact that people have a mentality of worrying about "wasting their
> >vote", IMO just goes to show that the current voting method is flawed.
> >

> This mentality says to me that you have never lived in a state where
> your vote made a difference.
>
> It is all nice and wonderful to have warm fuzzies about voting your
> conscience and sending a message, unless your failure to vote the two
> party system puts someone in the Whitehouse that will take away more of
> our rights than the other contender.
>
> I lived in Florida during the Bush/Gore election, and let me tell you
> that I am quite proud of the fact that I was one of the 537 votes (or
> 192, depending on which recount) that kept Gore out of office.
>
> -Steve

Something to be real proud of there! :p

The problem is real, if you don't vote the two party system then someone
in the two party system still wins, so might as well have it be the one
you despise less, right? WRONG! The only reason this is a problem is
because everyone thinks this way. If everyone would jump off and think
for themselve (not second guessing everyone else) then we wouldn't HAVE
this problem. And guess what, it starts with YOU and ME. You CANNOT wait
till everybody else does the right thing, you just have to Do It.

Von Fugal